Changes at the Center for Teaching and Learning

leaves changing color

Photo: Liz West on Creative Commons

I’m pleased to let you know that our national search has come to a conclusion, and President Gail Mellow has finalized the selection of a new Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs.  As of August 2016, Eric Hofmann has replaced Howard Wach as Director of the LaGuardia Center for Teaching and Learning.

Eric brings many valuable skills and experience to this position.  Trained in English Composition at Georgetown University, Eric helped launch the Center for New Designs in Learning and Scholarship (CNDLS), Georgetown‘s equivalent of our Center. Serving as the CNDLS Assistant Director for Planning and Development from 2000-2004, he worked across disciplines, leading effective campus-based and national professional development programs focused on inquiry pedagogy, curricular transformation, and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.

Coming to CUNY in 2004, Eric has served since 2009 as the University Director of Collaborative Programs, successfully guiding large and respected programs focused on strengthening college preparation in Mathematics and ELA, first year transition, advisement, and partnerships between campuses, high schools and community-based organizations.   A thoughtful, hard-working and skillful leader, Eric has a strong commitment to innovation and education for social justice.

I’d like to thank all of the members of the Search Committee – Andrea Francis, Jessica Perez, Ellen Quish, Howard Wach, and Burl Yearwood – who did such a careful and thorough job on this search: reviewing more than 140 applications, interviewing a host of qualified candidates from around the country, selecting the most qualified to move forward.   Paul, Gail and I appreciate the invaluable work done by the Committee.  Thanks go as well to Esther M. Rosario, for her skillful work in coordinating and scheduling the Search process.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our out-going Center Director, Howard Wach, for his excellent work as Assistant Dean.  Howard has successfully guided the Center through a period of significant growth and change, working with a diverse and powerful team to advance learning, teaching and student success at LaGuardia.  I’ve learned a great deal from Howard, and I’m sure others did as well.  His promotion is well-deserved.  Howard will stay nearby, and we will appreciate his on-going input and collaboration as we move forward.

Dr. Bret Eynon
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
LaGuardia Community College/CUNY